Tuesday 10 July 2018

Letter to the I: English National Anthem


I take issue with Steve Dodding insinuating that singing the British National anthem  is patriotic.  Not only is it not patriotic, since the song is a national embarrassment, I would remind him that England and Britain are not the same.  I would further remind him that "God Save the Queen" is not the English National Anthem, since we technically do not have one, so it makes no sense for our England team to sing it.  In fact there is nothing to legally say that "God Save the Queen" is the British national anthem, it merely became so by custom.  I believe this provides an ample opportunity to come up with alternative anthems for England and the wider UK that may be more interesting than the current stale piece of royal worshipping.

Regards

Zachary Barker
Bristol


No comments:

Post a Comment