Monday 3 April 2017

Letter to the I: 3 Day Weekend Letter

While I admire the idealism and the compassion behind the Green Party's idea for a 3 day weekend, I do think this idea is somewhat unhelpful.  It is particularly unhelpful for workers in the emergency services who do not always enjoy the luxury of a weekend.  It is also especially unhelpful for those of us, myself included, who get paid on a per hour basis.  This coming bank holiday of two enforced days off will put a noticeable hole in my pay packet.
     If the Greens are genuinely worried about exploitation then perhaps they need to focus more on spreading awareness of workers statutory rights, particularly those workers who are not on permanent contracts.  Many of them are vulnerable to having their hours changed without consultation and face bullying and harassment from managers.

Regards


Zachary Barker

No comments:

Post a Comment